Monday, August 19, 2013

An Old Favorite

Ahh I am sitting down, I have a huckleberry soda, a handful of Hershey's kisses, and a pile of favorite books. This is a refreshing way to spend spend my evening. After a couple days filled with mental and emotional stress I looked forward to this time perusing words and works that I find encouraging. Funny, what can jump out from old favorites in moments of quiet.

My mother introduced me to "Stepping Heavenward" by Elizabeth Prentiss when I was a teenager. I frequently pull it off the the shelf and browse the pages again for nuggets of encouragement. It is the fictional diary of an 19th century young woman, and covers her life from the age of 16 through her marriage and mothering years. So much ground, and relevant to different phases of life. I am sure to come back to it for many years. So without further ado, some quotes.


God never gives us hindrances. On the contrary, He means, in making us wives and mothers, to put us into the very conditions of holy living. But if we abuse His gifts by letting them take His place in our hearts, it is an act of love on His part to take them away, or to destroy our pleasure in them. It is delightful to know that there are some generous souls on earth, who love their dear ones with all their hearts, yet give those hearts unreservedly to Christ.  (My husband has such a generous soul)

Here is a sweet mouth to kiss; here are two more feet to make music with their pattering about my nursery. Here is a soul to train for God, and the body in which it dwells is worthy all it will cost, since it is the abode of a kingly tenant. I may see less of friends, but I have gained one dearer than them all, to whom, I minister in Christs name. Yes, my precious baby, you are welcome to your mothers heart, welcome to her time, her strength, her health, her most tender cares, to her lifelong prayers!

Happiness, in other words love, in married life is not a mere accident. When the union has been formed, as most Christian unions are, by God Himself, it is His intention and His will that it shall prove the unspeakable joy of both husband and wife, and become more and more so from year to year.

I think a mother, especially, must learn to enter into the happy moods of her children at the very moment when her own heart is sad. And it may be as religious an act for her to romp with them at that time as to pray with them at others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Were these words wonderful to you?